DoReMi

DoReMi

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Black and White Acrylic Painting Project

     This is an acrylic painting of a woman in a gas mask, painted during quarter one. It turned out great but came with its challenges.
     Starting the painting went well. I was able to sketch it out fairly fast and begin painting. I started painting the face first so that I could cover any excess with the black paint used for the gas mask. However, actually painting the face took longer than I thought. Making the lighter shades and gradients was difficult. I would often have problems getting the color right or smoothing out the gradients. At one point, there was a dark splotch on the nose because part of the paint had lifted up. I put so many layers of paint on the face that you can barely see the tooth of the canvas.
     In a way I sort of of cheated. After I had finally gotten the skin right, I moved on to the eye. I didn't want to screw up on the make up and have to redo the skin, so instead of making smooth gradients, I used a tiny brush to make small hatching lines.
     The gas mask didn't give me any problems, it just took time to finish it. I painted the hair last which was the easiest part then I was finally done :). It only took one quarter to paint it...
     This was also based off of a photo I found on google. I haven't been able to find the original again to credit the photographer, so if anyone knows, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment